Dr. Thapa joined the University of Kansas in 2011 as an Imaging and Analysis Expert.
Prior to joining KU, Dr. Thapa worked as a Post-doctoral Research Associate in the Department of Physics at Kansas State University.
He earned his Ph.D. in Philosophy in Photonics in 2008 from the Oklahoma State University.
- Synthesis of metallic, polymeric and biomaterial nanostructures and characterization.
- High resolution electron microscopy and its application to material sciences.
- Experimental techniques to investigate size effects at small scales, nanoscale fabrication methods, and sample preparation methods for electron microscopy investigation.
- Application of focused ion beam system to nanoscale structures or devices for specific research projects in Transmission electron microscope
- Wang, H., Hodgson, J., Shrestha, T., Thapa, P., Moore, D., Wu, X., Ikenberry, M., Troyer, D., Wang, D., Hohn, K. and Bossmann, S. “Carbon Dioxide Hydrogenation to Aromatic Hydrocarbons by Using an Iron/Iron Oxide Nanocatalyst ” ACS Catalysis,2013. Submited.
- Sukthankar, P., Gudlur, S., Avila, A. L., Whitaker, S. K., Katz, B. B., Hiromasa, Y., Gao, J., Thapa, P. , Moore, D., Iwamoto, T., Chen, J. and Tomich, J. M. “Branched-Oligopeptide Forms Capsules with Lipid Vesicle-Like Characteristics ” Langmuir,2013. Submited.
- Jin, X., Roy, D., Thapa, P. S., Subramaniam, B. and Chaudhary, R. V. “Atom Economical Aqueous-Phase Conversion (APC) of Biopolyols to Lactic Acid, Glycols, and Linear Alcohols Using Supported Metal Catalysts.” ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering ., 2013.
- Liu, J. W., Lu, R., Xu, G. W., Wu, J., Thapa, P. and Moore, D.,“Development of Seedless Floating Growth Process in Solution for Synthesis of Crystalline ZnO Micro/Nanowire Arrays on Graphene: Towards High-Performance Nanohybrid Ultraviolet Photodetectors.” Adv. Func. Mater., 2013.
- Wang, H. W., Shrestha, T. B., Seo, G. M., Basel, M. T., Dani, R. K., Seo, G. M., Balivada, S., Pyle, M., Prock, H., Koper, O. B., Thapa, P. S., Moore, D., Li, P., Chikan, V., Troyer, D. L. and Bossmann S. H.,“Magnetic –Fe/Fe3O4-Nanoparticle-Bound SN38 as Carboxylesterase-Cleavable Prodrug for the Delivery to Tumors Within Monocytes/Macrophages.” Beilstein J. Nanotechnology, 3, 2012.
- Shrestha, T. B., Seo, G. M., Basel, M. T., Kalita, M., Wang, H. W., Villanueva, D., Pyle, M., Balivada, S., Rachakatla, R. S., Shinogle, H., Thapa, P. S., Moore, D., Troyer, D. L. and Bossmann S. H.,“Stem Cell-Based Photodynamic Therapy.” Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, 2012.
- Pandey, B., Thapa, P. S., Higgins, D. A. and Ito Takashi, “Formation of Self-Organized Nanoporus Anodic Oxide from Metallic Gallium.” Langmuir, 2012.
- Paneru, G., Thapa, P. S., McBride, S. P., Rann, A., Law, B. M. and Flanders, B. N, “Long Reach Cantileveres for Sub-Cellular Force Measurements.” Nanotechnology, 23, 2012.
- Paneru, G.; Thapa, P. S.; McBride, S. P.; Moore, D. S.; Law, B. M. and Flanders, B. N. “Forces at Individual Pseudopod-Filament Adhesive Contacts.” Appl. Phys. Lett., 99, 2011.
- Thapa, P. S.; Ackerson, B.J.; Grischkowsky, D. R. and Flanders, B. N. “Directional Growth of Metallic and Polymeric Nanowires.” Nanotechnology, 20, 2009.
- Thapa, P. S.; Yu, D. J.; Wicksted, J. P.; Hadwiger, J. A.;Barisci, J. N.; Baughman, R. H. and Flanders, B. N. “Directional Growth of Conducting Polypyrrole and Polythiophene nanowires.” Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, 2009.
- Dale, E.; Ganta, D.; Stoian, R. I.; Thapa, P.; Yu, D.J.; Flanders, B.N. and Rosenberger, A. T. “Spatially Localized Enhancement of Evanescent Coupling to Whispering-Gallery Modes at 1550 nm due to Surface Plasmon Resonances of Au Nanowire Fragments.” International Quantum Electronics Conference, May 2009.
- Su, A.; Tan, S.; Thapa, P. S.; Flanders, B.N. and Ford, W.T. “Highly Ordered Langmuir-Blodgett Films of Amphiphilic Poly (Propylene imine) Dendrimers.” J. Phys. Chem. C, 111(12) 4695-4701 2007.
Ramanathan, A., Maheswari, R., Thapa, P. S., and Subramaniam, B. “Rapid Room Temperature Synthesis of Ce-MCM-48: An Active Catalyst for Trans-Stilbene Epoxidation with Tert-Butyl Hydroperoxide” in “Novel Materials for Catalysis and Fuels Processing”; J. Bravo-Suarez, J., Kidder, K. M., and Schwartz, V.,ACS Symposium Series, Vol. 1132: American Physical Society; 2013: Chapter 8, pp213-228
Flanders, B. N., Talukdar, I., Ozturk, B., and Thapa, P. S., “Methods of Making an Electrochemical Nanowire assembly and Attaching Cells There to” (United States Patent: 8137526), 2012.
News and Media Highlights
- November 2013: Graphics Selection for Cover Page on upcoming issue of ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering Technique
- Feb 2010: Technique on Cell Electrotaxis. Department Newsletter, Department of Physics, Kansas State University. http://www.phys.k-state.edu/newsletter/2010/
- June 30, 2009: Growing Nanowires pinpoint on-chip Targets. Nanotechweb.org, http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/tech/39689
- March 16, 2009: Cell Electrotaxis. American Physical Society, 2009 March Meeting Video Gallery http://aps.org/meetings/march/vpr/2009/videogallery/electrotaxis.cfm
- Feb 20, 2009: Electrical Nanowires Probe Individual Cells. National Science Foundation, Discoveries Features http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries
- Jan 29, 2009: Developing Electromechanical Probes to Help Scientists Understand Tissue-Level Processes Like Wound Healing. Kansas State University, Media Relations http://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/jan09/flanders12909.html